Home Forums Patriotify Development Looking to get a "news feed" of some sort

8 replies, 4 voices Last updated by  13 Stars 11 months, 3 weeks ago
  • Author

Anonymous @

How do I communicate with people I follow as in a news feed/stream ? I am still having trouble navigating the site. Do I create a group?

Long Eared Lester
    Participant
    @LongEaredLester

I must admit I find it rather cumbersome as well and poorly setup at the moment compared to the other forum I use with the same backend software.

The html bit is very old-hat as I’m used to being able to use fonts, bold, italic, underline, etc, as well as automatic links and the ability to insert images.

Will stick with it though as the forum will get nowhere without interesting content.

Just wish it was easier to compose it.

Anonymous @

I am going to stick with it and have invited many twitter followers to join Patriotify however they are stuck in twitter land where nothing at all gets accomplished except continuous, negative bashing. I liken it to this vat of endless verbal diarrhea. That site is corrupt in and it of itself. It is so discouraging.

Patriotify
    Keymaster
    @patriotify

Thanks for the feedback. It’s only a few of us putting this together so it’s only by studying responses like yours that we can figure out practical improvements we might be able to make in the future.

Frankly we need to have a very brief “how-to” page made easily accessible that at least shows people how to quickly view a news feed of friends’ activity, check forums, add friends etc.

There’s a dropdown menu at the top left of your screen. From there you can choose “Activity” and next you can choose to view your “Wall” or “News Feed.”

That’s a good way to see the latest. Again we should probably put all this in a message for all newcomers.

Anonymous @

Thanks guys! Keep up the good work. A ? Button would be helpful.

Patriotify
    Keymaster
    @patriotify

We have added a “Start Menu” now that you should see when you first login to the site. That has a “Help” button that links to our New User Guide. We will keep adding material to that guide based on some of the questions we see.

But for a “News Feed” functionality similar to what you’d see in Facebook, there’s two basic options.

1. Hit the “Activity” button from the Start Menu to see up-to-the-minute activity from all users across the site. This is unfiltered.

2. Under the menu accessible on the upper left of your screen, go to the select “Activity.” From there, you should be able to see the “News Feed” including updates from people, groups and forums of interest to you.

3. Also, you have a “Wall” you can post on, similar to Facebook. Again, from the menu accessible on the upper left of your screen, choose “Activity” and then select “Wall.” You’ll see a box that says “What’s new, User Name?” You can type your latest status update or deep thoughts in that box, and your friends will be able to see it in their News Feeds.

Thanks to all for your feedback and patience. Due to resource constraints we had to use an existing system to build Patriotify, and with that comes limitations on functionality. But we hope we can build a community here and add greater functionality in the long run.

Anonymous @

Thanks for all the building on the site.

13 Stars
    Participant
    @13Stars

Something I noticed: the upper left menu seems to be for site wide actions, and the upper right for personal. So, when choosing forums and groups from the left menu we should see global items. Now, one has to go to the front page scrolling window to access global groups (unless I’m not looking in the right place). That menu would also be a place for the info on the patriotify project and any instructions.

13 Stars
    Participant
    @13Stars

While I’m here, I’d like to say that the “Phase 3” concept of federative interoperability is really good. Of course, the big corps maintain market share by keeping their platforms separate, but real development begins historically when many groups can use a common format.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.